CUBA FISHING-ECOLOGICAL PROGRAM
MARCH 3–7, 2017
PROPOSED ITINERARY – SUBJECT TO CHANGE
"FISHIN WITH PHIL" Cuba fishing and ecological tour. You will be hosted by Tampa's own Phil Thompson who has 25+ years of guide experience in Cuba. He is also the author of the book, "97 MILES SOUTH: KEY WEST TO CUBA."
We will start in Havana and work our way to the scenic ZAPATA NATIONAL PARK. We will meet Felipe Rodriguez who has created a school to train Cuban youth in environmental protection and preservation. You will have the opportunity to fish in Las Salinas and Rio Hatiquanico.
DAY 1 - 2017
· 4:00 AM Check in Tampa International Airport, Southwest, Flight WN3952.
· 6:15 AM Depart International Airport.
· 7:30 AM Arrive at Jose Marti International Airport, Havana.
· 8:30 AM Welcome by Havanatur.
· 9:00 AM Tour of places Ernest Hemingway made famous: AMBOS MUNDOS HOTEL (where he had a private room and legend has it where he wrote To Whom the Bells Toll), EL FLORIDITA bar and LA BODEGUITA DEL MEDIO. By Hemingway’s own account, he said, "My mojito in La Bodeguita del Medio and my daiquiri in the Floridita."
· 12:00 PM Lunch at LA TERRAZA in Cojimar Fishing Village. Ernest Hemingway's favorite government-owned restaurant (ate there when he was staying at his farmhouse in Finca La Vigia – the Lookout).
· 1:30 PM Visit to FINCA LA VIGIA, Ernest Hemingway’s home in Cuba, which is now a government-run museum and where he wrote The Old Man and the Sea. His famous fishing boat captained by Gregorio Fuentes “THE PILAR” is now literally housed in his backyard! The protagonist in The Old Man and the Sea, “Santiago,” was patterned after Hemingway’s boat captain Gregorio Fuentes.
· 3:00 PM Check in to Hotel Nacional
· 7:00 PM Dinner at Luxury restaurant “Comedor Aguilar” one of the more elegant and exclusive restaurants in Havana.
DAY 2 – 2017
· 7:00 AM Full breakfast at Hotel Nacional.
· 8:00 AM Day tour to Vinales, Pinar del Rio Providence. Pleasant three-hour drive. Vinales is a national park and by far the most visited location in Pinar del Rio, with striking landscapes and an atmosphere of complete serenity. The valley feels very remote, with a lost-world quality that’s mainly due to the unique mogotes, the boulder-like hills that look as if they’ve dropped from the sky onto the valley floor.
· 11:00 AM Enjoy the Vinales Valley.
· 1:00 PM Farm-to-Table lunch at a Farm Restaurant.
· 3:00 PM Back to Hotel Nacional.
· 8:00 PM Dinner at your leisure (we will make recommendations).
DAY 3 – 2017
· 9:00 AM Break fast at Hotel Nacional
· 10:00 AM Depart Havana for Zapata National Park
· 12:30 PM Lunch at restaurant or paladar in Cayo Largo
· 1:30 PM Visit to Zapata Youth Environmental School. Meeting with Felipe Rodriguez the founder of the school . The students are learning to be ecological guides and how to make fly ties which are a source of income for the school and project sustainability. The emphasis of the school is to educate the youth on the economic value of the ecological preservation of Zapata. The students are also taught to measure water quality and how to measure fish population.
· 3:00 PM Visit the crocodile farm in Playa Giron and bird sanctuary
· 6:00 PM check into casa particluar in Cayo Largo
· 8:00 PM Dinner at restaurant or paladar in Cayo Largo
DAY 4 2017
· 8:00 AM Breakfast in casa particlar
· 9:00 AM Depart for Las Salinas or Rio Hatiquanico for full day of fishing with lunch box
· 4:00 PM Return to casa particular
· 7:00 PM dinner at local paladar
DAY 5 –2017
· 8:00 AM Breakfast at casa particular
· 9:00 AM Depart Cayo Largo for Havana
· 12:00 PM Lunch at La Calesa Real, a private sector restaurant know as a Paladar.
· 1:30 PM Visit San Jose market in Havana where you can purchase art and souvenirs.
· 3:00 PM Check into Jose Marti Airport
· 6:05 PM southwest plane departs Havana for Tampa
Tour Guide Phil Thompson
THIS TRIP INCLUDES
· ROUND TRIP AIRFARE TAMPA-HAVANA
· CUBAN VISA
· OFAC LICENSE
· HEALTH INSURANCE
· FIVE DAYS/FOUR NIGHTS STAY ACOMODATIONS
· DAILY BREAKFASTS
· FIVE LUNCHES
· FOUR DINNERS
· IN-COUNTRY TRANSPORTATION
· ENGLISH SPEAKING TOUR GUIDE
· ALL MUSEUM FEES ON THE PROGRAM
· HEMINGWAY THEME DAY TOUR
· DAY TRIP TO VINALES
· UNESCO HERITAGE SITES
· TWO DAY TRIP TO ZAPATA ECOLOGICAL SITE
· ONE DAY FISHING TRIP
· AIRPORT DEPARTURE TAX
· TRAVEL AGENT FEE
PRICE BASED ON DOUBLE OCCUPACY: HOTEL NACIONAL $2550; CASA PARTICULAR $1895
PRICE BASED ON SINGLE OCCUPANCY: HOTEL NACIONAL $2750; CASA PARTICULAR $1995